Saturday, January 19, 2008

Miscellaneous Stuff



A few days ago I was thinking about the Beatles which is not all that unusual. But I was specifically thinking about George's first wife, Pattie Boyd which is a bit unusual. For those who don't know her and her history; while she was married to George (my personal favorite of the Fab Four) he wrote the song "Something" for her.

Eric Clapton, (Clapton IS god) who was one of George's best friends, fell in love with Pattie while she was still married to George and wrote the song "Layla" for her. Pattie later left George for Eric and while they were married he wrote "Wonderful Tonight" for her! Anyway, I was thinking that she should write a book, since there's so much musical history that she was part of and privy to. On Friday I went to the library - and there it was - a book by Pattie Boyd Harrison Clapton!!!

I'm sure I'll learn things - some things that I probably won't want to know, but I'm glad she has written her story. I had no idea she had written a book. I started reading it last night and I am trying to make it last - I read so fast that it's annoying -I think I'll read another book at the same time, so that I can enjoy and savor what she has to say.


TV - The other night I watched a movie - I don't remember the name of it now, but there was a guy in it that I just couldn't (and can't still) place. I looked at the credits - Campbell Scott - which rang no bells for me. I have no idea what show or movie I know him from, so I looked up his name on the DVR and recorded all the movies he was in so that I might be able to place him.

Last night I was browsing through my list of recorded movies and found one Saint Ralph. So I decided to watch and see if it helped at all. It didn't help one iota, but I found the movie to be one of the best movies I've seen in a very long time. It's the story of a 14 year old boy whose father had died in WW2, his mother is very sick in the hospital; his best friend writing letters from a non-existent grandmother to cover up the fact that he's on his own. Going to a catholic school, he somehow gets the idea that if he can win the Boston Marathon which would be a miracle - he could then use that miracle to make his mother better. If you get the chance to see this move, do watch it, it's sweet, funny, sad, inspiring. And if you recognize Campbell Scott (he plays Father Hibbert) and why I might know of him, please let me know because it's driving me crazy (more crazy than usual.)

Speaking of TV...
I have to admit to a guilty indulgence - Miss America Reality Check - I know, I know it's hard to believe since I really do not enjoy reality shows. I watched the first 4 or 5 Survivor shows and then got tired of it. As for American Idol - over however many years they've been on - I think I've seen about 45 minutes total and that was while visiting my brothers house. I just don't enjoy these shows, in fact, I actually get annoyed by them. But this Miss America reality show is quite interesting on many levels.


Edwards - I'm listening to the Solid Gold Oldies station on the TV tonight - Edwards bombed in the Nevada Caucuses and I am not able to watch MSNBC, especially with the loudmouth Chris Matthews and the obnoxious conservative duo of Joe Scarborough and Pat Buchanan.

I wish more people would listen to and learn about John Edwards. He's not taken any money from individuals with agendas; therefore he would owe NO ONE if he's elected President. Common sense tells me that means a lot!! With the press owned by the corporate world his message just is not getting out there - you'd think there were just 2 Democratic candidates in the running!

I think I'll go read now...

No comments: