Sunday, October 21, 2007

New New Appliance Dilemma




Wah wah wah wah wah wah wah. I know!! Between my refrigerator whining and my whining, it's been hard for everyone lately.

Good news, however!! Yesterday afternoon Emilee and I went to the scratch and dent appliance store on Warwick Ave (thank you Faith) and after much searching, I actually think I found a fridge.

There were a pretty good amount of refrigerators to choose from. I knew I didn't want any door water/ice features as the well water at my house is pretty gross. I didn't want an ice maker or glass shelves either. I like the basic wire racks and, again, the water here is gross so I don't have the need to make ice. Though I'm curious to know if an ice maker can be tied into a water dispenser, cuz I'll get one if so.

The basic white fridges were perfect, with the right racks and no ice makers, except they were just too small. Roberta, the cranky sales lady, called their Providence store a bunch of times to see if they had the basic model in a larger size. No one there could give her a straight answer. I think Emi was a little scared of her because at one point she said she wanted to leave. We just decided to ignore her and check out the rest of the fridges.

The basic white refrigerators were perfect, except they were just too small. Roberta, the cranky sales lady, called their Providence store a bunch of times to see if they had the basic model in a larger size. No one there could give her a straight answer. I think Emi was a little scared of her because at one point she said she wanted to leave. We just decided to ignore her and check out the rest of the store.

I'm kind of a purist when it comes to many things; napkins, paper towels, toilet paper and appliances, in my opinion, should be white! So I had looked at, but not really checked out, the stainless steel versions. So Emi and I headed to one fridge in the back that is pictured above.

It had three things I didn't want; the stainless, an ice maker and glass shelves. The two things it had that I wanted was size and a good price.

The manufacturer is LG (Life's Good - shhh, Faith) which, coincidentally, I had heard of just last week when I researched a cell phone that Veronica was interested in buying. When I went to their website at that time, I was amazed at what a huge international company it was so I didn't really question the manufacturer when I saw the logo on the front of the fridge. This particular fridge had a broken freezer drawer handle that they will fix for me.

The problem I ran into was that Emi and I had picked out a simple white stove. I'm not that picky, but I didn't really want a stainless fridge and a white stove across from each other in my kitchen. So the guys in Providence are supposed to check for two things; can I get the fridge in white and/or do they have a low end stainless stove? I don't need all the bells and whistles on a stove on/in which I will be burning food, after all!

The stainless fridge online is listed for $1,249. The one I put a deposit on was listed at $899 with a 20% discount to make it $720 which I think is a good price for (what seems to be) a great product.

Depending on what they find with a stove, it should be around $400 - $600, which seems to be okay too.

The answers to these burning questions should come in the next few days.

No comments: