Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Mike and Emi Knievel




























I got my motorcycle in 1975 - and, at times, it was my only means of transportation. I drove it year 'round, and like the mailman, through rain and sleet and snow. One of my favorite things to do was to get on the highway late at night and draft behind the 18-wheelers as they cruised along. I’d put the motorcycle in neutral and hold on for the ride. Of course, that was when there were only 18-wheelers on the road late at night (or early morning depends on your thinking, I guess.) Sadly, my motorcycle was stolen after a few years and that ended my Easy Rider time of life.

I still have trouble believing that my brother Michael has a motorcycle! He is the last one I'd have thought would do so.

I’ve always described Mike as Alex P. Keaton (from Family Ties); he was just like that as a teenager. Mike always followed the rules. He didn’t party. He didn’t rebel. He was a good student, smart and a very hard worker.

So, when he told me he was going to take the motorcycle course I thought, "oh boy." But he finished the course and went searching for a motorcycle before he got his motorcycle license. I actually didn’t see the motorcycle for several weeks after he got it and it was Emilee who introduced me to it. She had ridden over to an uncle’s house on the back and enjoyed it. Since then, she’s become a regular biker chick!

Today was the first time I actually saw both Mike and Emi on the motorcycle. Chelsea snapped some pictures as they rode off to Emi’s karate lesson (she’s something, isn’t she?) I can only imagine that when she grows up she’ll probably have a motorcycle before she has a car.

Whether it's a mid-life crisis (he did turn 40 this year, after all) or finally his time to be a rebel, it delights and terrifies me all at the same time. Though I suppose that I would have been terrified if he was a rebel as a teenager as well, but now he has a wife and 3 kids. Though, at the same time, I know the joy and exhilaration, as well as the relaxation of riding. I suppose that with all the motorcycles on the road nowadays that drivers are more aware of them. But I’ll keep my fingers crossed, not for Michael to drive safely (as I know he does), but that some idiot doesn’t run into him.

And if I EVER hear of him getting on the highway and drafting behind a 18-wheeler, he won’t have to be afraid about how safe it is or not, because it will be me he needs to be afraid of!!!

No comments: