Sunday, September 30, 2007

A Day Of Firsts



It was my first day in my new home with all of my stuff here. It's pretty full right now, but I am getting it done box by box.

It was also very nice to wake up with Veronica here yesterday morning. My first overnight guest! Hopefully she and other nieces and nephews are here regularly.

Patrick and I went shopping at Benny's - I needed light bulbs, wastebaskets and curtain rods. I also needed to have some keys made - to replace the one I dropped into the dashboard of my uncle's truck and the one I borrowed from the landlord.

We went to Michael's house where Chelsea was off to get her hair cut (very cute). As we waited Vanessa and JaeMae came over as I was babysitting the cute little girl while her parents went to the Red Sox game. JaeMae now has two bottom front teeth that make her more adorable than she was when she was toothless.

While we waited for Chelsea to return from the hair salon we fed JaeMae and just hung around in the car. Once she got back we admired her new hair style and we were on the road.

We stopped to get some pizza and milk and then went to my new house. Once there, JaeMae cried so hard, with tears coming down her cheeks which was the first time I'd ever seen as she is usually a very happy little girl. She had some pizza dough which she kept dropping much to the delight of Hannibal who sat adoringly at her feet.

For the rest of the visit we girls hung out on my bed (which is the biggest clear surface in the entire house) and we had a great time.

I'd forgotten how long it takes to get a baby ready when getting ready to go out. So we were running a bit late to return Chelsea and Emilee home. As we were all getting in the car, I put my hand on the part of the car between the front and back doors to lean in and put some stuff on the passenger side of the car. That was when Emi decided to close the door. After saying "open the door" a few times my hand was freed. It hurt, but not too badly as the door closed at the fleshy part of my hand just above my fingers. Emi started to say how sorry she was and then she cried, which made me cry because I knew how badly she felt. It took a bit to get her and me calmed down and then we were off. (Today my hand is fine, it's a bit swollen but it hardly hurts at all.) I have a vague memory of getting a finger or two caught in the car door as a kid, so while it wasn't a first, it was a first as an adult.

Once the girls were dropped off, JaeMae (who was sleeping) and I headed off to her house. She cried a little after we got in the house and I took her sweatshirt off, but I rocked her and she fell back to sleep. I watched a little TV as she slept on the bed next to me and I gave her some kisses.

Just before Vanessa and Ryan got home JaeMae woke up and I was getting ready to change her diaper - but before I did, Vanessa and Ryan were at the door where we met them (along with Veronica, who was there for just a few minutes.) We were standing in the kitchen talking and I felt a warm liquid over my arm and down my shirt. JaeMae was peeing and because her diaper was so full, I was the one to absorb most of her baby pee. I laughed and Ryan went and got a towel for the floor and my arm. I think they were a little mortified that it happened, but it didn't bother me at all.

They had brought some gaggers home so after JaeMae went to sleep we sat and ate and talked about the game where Vanessa (and Veronica) showed some of their moxie by yelling at the loud drunk people behind them who did quiet down after their verbal assault, though somehow a beer came flying at them a bit later!

I drove home (where the radiator light on my car kept coming on (I think I have a leak) - see The Need For Glasses) and then took Hannibal out for a walk. When we returned to the house I turned the door knob to enter and it turned a little bit and then LOCKED!! It was 1 am, my extra key was in the car which I had locked with the keys that were hanging in the front hall. I very briefly thought of going through a window and then decided to walk over to Patrick's house and wake him up and get his key. After banging on his front door for a couple of minutes without any results, I walked around to his bedroom window which was opened. After abruptly being awakened, he very nicely handed me his keys so I could get in the house. I had (until last night) never locked myself out of a house before, though I need to have the lock checked, because it was unlocked as I left the house. I think I will have to do what I've always told my customers to never do - hide a key outside! There are a few good spots, however, and once the alarm is installed it should be okay.

I collapsed into bed about 2 am and slept like I was in a coma. What a day!!

No comments: