Thursday, August 9, 2007

A Renaissance Boy


Matthew told me tonight that he had a new keyboard - 61 keys! And even better than that, he played three songs for me. After just six months of lessons, his playing is improving and his enjoyment and pride of playing is very apparent in the enthusiasm he still has.

He has so many talents; he's a great ball player, he loves art and drawing and now music.

As a baby, while in his highchair, he would do art projects with me and Chelsea. He would sit there and say "paint" over and over until I gave him a canvas, brushes and paint. I still have some of his artwork which showed promise even at such a young age. He loves to draw and look at books of cars to draw. He is always asking me "When we are going to do another project, Auntie?" We've made dreamcatchers, bookmarks and painted everything from paper plates to glassware to wooden boats. We've even sewed curtains and pillows for his bedroom!
Once when he was about 2 or 3 when I had stopped in for a visit, he reached out to touch my flowered skirt and told me he liked it. I thought then and still notice how visual he is and how he's always aware of what's going on around him.

He's always ready to give a hug, but he is not a kissy kind of kid. When I do get a kiss, they're all the more special because of their infrequency. One day, when he was 2, he was in the pool with his father and he was falling asleep! Michael put him down and I scooped him up, wrapped him in a towel and sat in a lawn chair while he slept in my arms. I held him for over an hour, giving him tons of kisses, which he couldn't shrug off as he usually did. It's one of my fondest memories, not just of him, but in my entire life. His beautiful face, with his reddish hair and just a sprinkle of freckles, put me in Alice heaven. I protested when Beverly told me he had to wake up otherwise he'd never sleep that night, so I grudgingly gave him over.

His team was undefeated this summer and his ball playing abilities have him much in demand for various leagues. Fall ball is coming up and I'm sure he'll continue to work on his game and be as successful as he's been so far. (see America's Favorite Pastime 7/17).

So whether he's playing music over the phone to me, or we're sending up a rocket in the yard, or we're sitting quietly talking, he's a great little guy to spend time with. I believe that as he grows and matures, his interests will expand and I, for one, will enjoy following his journey.

No comments: