Thursday, August 16, 2007

Camping 2007

I've almost recovered from my camping trip with my friends. Almost.

It all started back in the 70's. We were definitely a camping group of friends. I guess it was because there wasn't a lot to do, so we spent much of the time camping out all over New England. When we were young, it didn't matter so much where we went, or what the accommodations were. Some places we went to didn't have any accommodations. An outhouse with a hole, no showers. There were also cabins that we would stay in, where the price was $1.00 per night, and that was for your mattress! The cabins were free! We didn't pay a lot of attention to menus or who was bringing what. We just loaded our cars and went.

As we got older and children became part of the group, planning was much more important. In the early years, I was part of the planning. But over time, as Faith and Jan (who had the kids) perfected the menus, games and activities and then got the pop up campers (where they could leave camping items from year to year) my part has greatly diminished. I can barely plan and cook a meal at home, nevermind when camping. Their imaginations and ingenuity have resulted in some fabulous meals over the years.

I've taken nieces and nephews over the years and they always have a good time. My ideal camping day is watching the kids, reading a book and munching on the assorted snacks that are offered.

This past weekend, after 3 days of camping, the kids discovered 4 tiny baby mice living in a log that Tim brought from home. I've included a video, recorded by my 7 year old niece, Emilee with my camera. Each time this weekend as she was recording she would say "This is going on the internet!" so I thought I should add something to make her happy.

No comments: