Friday, August 24, 2007

Veronica's Big Day

Meet Nick.

Until two nights ago, we didn't know Nick even existed. Now we have a new friend!







After the beach on Wednesday, Roni and I were having Chinese food while sitting in front of my computer. I started looking at apartments and then we thought to check out the cars for sale as my new bumper stickers were really bugging her.

We came across his ad within the hour of the posting. I sent an email; he called and gave me some info. I told him we were interested and would call back to say what time we'd be there Thursday morning.
Roni showed up at my house early on Thursday and we picked up Michelle and headed to the East Bay!!! The pictures and info that Nick had posted sounded good. Happily, when we got to his home, the car met and exceeded our expectations. With my lunatic sister behind the wheel, we were off on a test drive. All went well and during the ride, Nick filled us in on his plans for school in France, which sounds like a great adventure. Upon returning to his home, Nick was nice enough to offer to drive to Kevin's so he could check the car out. So with Nick (driving) with Michelle in the 2001 VW Golf (color black), and Roni and I in my Volvo, we headed back to the West Bay! Roni and I could see Nick and Michelle talking the entire ride and we were hoping for the best (for Nick, that is).

After plugging the car in, looking under the hood (at an extremely clean engine compartment), and going for a test ride, Kevin gave it the all clear. Michelle and Nick had agreed to a price on the drive over and we told him the car was SOLD! So Nick headed back to the East Bay, we brought Michelle home and then I dropped Roni at work.

Once she was home, Michelle worked her financial magic and got a loan approved for Roni within an hour or so and we made plans to meet Nick this morning. Again, Nick left the East Bay, heading West. Michelle headed to Junction to pick up JaeMae, Roni picked me up and we all converged at People's CU. After a bit of waiting for paperwork to be faxed, my acquiring a safe deposit box and papers getting signed, Nick had his check and Veronica had the paperwork and title.

Veronica, JaeMae and I headed to my house. Michelle went to the registry, and Nick again headed back to the East Bay! After spending some time trying to get JaeMae to eat and/or sleep, we met with Michelle and we swapped JaeMae for the new license plates and registration. Then Michelle and JaeMae went to the beach and Veronica and I headed back to the East Bay to get her new car.

We get to Nick's house and - no car and no Nick!! I think Roni was getting a little nervous because he had the check and the car! A little while later, Nick (along with the car) came home. He took his plates off and put on Veronica's new plates - one of those new 6 digit plates. After removing his stuff, he gave Roni some CD's he made for her, left her some change in the center console, we snapped a picture and he was off - hopefully not back to the West Bay. I took some photos of Roni and she followed me - back to the West Bay!

She looked so cute and adorable driving her new car; it seems like it was made for her! I had to call her to tell her so on the way.

So Nick leaves for France on Monday, Veronica has driven off into the sunset and I have my car back! All is well between the East and West of Narragansett Bay.

The moral of the story: Had Veronica run off with her friends (which she typically does), instead of having dinner with her Auntie after our day at the beach, none of the above would have happened and she'd be driving around in a 14 year old Volvo with bumper stickers on the trunk that I enjoy and she doesn't like!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Alice, it certainly was a good day for all of us, especially Veronica. She's been off and about ever since enjoying her new car. You did't mention that we got a great deal on her car insurance, with my wheeling and dealing, at less than $50/month, which will help her so much while she goes to college. As always, I'll do whatever I need to do for my kids...they deserve it! And as their "Auntie" you do the same. Thanks for being such a good aunt.