Saturday, November 3, 2007

Sneakers Madness


A few weeks ago Veronica was at my house for a visit. She ran out to her car to get a change of clothes and brought in a pair of sneakers that I absolutely loved. I thought they were about the cutest sneakers and I decided I wanted a pair for myself.

She immediately got on the computer and showed me how many choices there were at footaction.com. They really had some great choices, but I really loved the ones that she had. My friend Micro and his son Josh were here at the same time and Josh mentioned that although there was no support in those sneakers he liked them also. (Josh turned 14 just a couple of days ago on 11/1.) So with my credit card number in hand she ordered me up a pair exactly like hers.

Several days later a package arrived and my mailman, Frank, actually hand delivered them to me, as I guess the package wouldn't fit in the mailbox. I ripped open the package and there they were - part of the Red project - where much of the proceeds will go to the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria, a worthy cause.

I didn't actually have the opportunity to try them on for a few days, but one day before I was heading out I decided this would be the day to wear them. So I strung up the laces, took the little Converse label off and put one on my right foot.

First of all, I forgot how much I hated high tops - always have and always will! Secondly, the shoe looked ridiculous and I looked and felt like an idiot.

What the heck was I thinking??!! For some reason I keep forgetting how old I am. It's been years, no decades, since I was a teenager as Veronica is. And these shoes are clearly for young people. I felt like the old guy with an earring that we all run into now and then. Hello? You are old! Have you forgotten that?! What are you thinking?

As these thoughts were running through my head I took the sneaker off, put the little Converse label back on and put the pair into the cute little drawstring pouch that they came in. I knew, without a doubt, that I would never wear these cute things again. I figured that Vanessa might like them.

A couple of nights ago, Halloween actually, when Vanessa and Ryan brought JaeMae over in her ladybug costume, I gave the pouch to Vanessa. She tried one sneaker on, it fit great and looked even better! So two of my girls will have those cute shoes to wear.

So, even though in my head I still think that I am young, the reality is that I'm not and I can't help but say again; What the hell was I thinking? Obviously, I wasn't!


No comments: