Sunday, November 11, 2007

Happy Veterans Day?



See George laugh.

See the look on the soldiers' faces.

See Alice see red.

The photo just about says it all. It was, unbelievably, released by the White House – a photo op that this idiot cannot refuse. I can't imagine that they thought it would help his image.

For Veterans Day, the idiot holding the T-shirt visited a privately funded rehab hospital in Texas that has state-of-the-art equipment to treat the men and women who have been forced to (mis)serve our country.

Privately funded, as in the government had and has nothing to do with it other than to send men and women there for medical treatment.

Throughout my entire life I have been surrounded by active military and/or veterans. My father’s two brothers served as I was growing up – Tom was Air Force and Marines, Bob was Air Force. My mother’s brothers served – Higgy, Pat and Peter were Navy veterans. My mother’s older brother served and was killed aboard the USS Luce DD-522 in WWII. My Uncle Larry (Auntie Rita’s husband) served in the Navy during WWII.

Many cousins and friends served in Vietnam. My brother Jack is an Air Force veteran. Dennis is a veteran of the Army.

So I have nothing but admiration and respect for the men and women who have served our (once) great country. At the very least, they deserve a holiday to thank them for their service.

No comments: