Thursday, June 19, 2008

The Boss? Who Is He?

Okay, so I woke with a sore throat today, so no going to the beach for me. Next Wednesday will have to be my first beach day of the year. I slept for most of the day and when awake, I drank lots of orange juice which always seems to help me feel better quickly. We'll see.

Tonight I watched the memorial service that was held this afternoon for Tim Russert. I am so pleased that the Russert family and NBC decided to televise it, many of us in the Tim Russert fan club needed some sort of participation.

So while I'm watching the memorial service, Veronica came home. She took a shower and then joined me on the couch to watch. She sat down just as Tom Brokaw introduced The Boss. A screen came down and Bruce Springsteen spoke about Tim for a few minutes and then played Thunder Road, which was Tim's favorite song (Springsteen was his favorite rocker. As a law student in Cleveland in 1972, Tim booked a then unknown Springsteen to play at the university. Tim was instantly a fan, right up to the day he died.)

After a few minutes of Thunder Road I asked Veronica if she knew who that was. She didn't!! She didn't know who Tim Russert was either!

Many years ago I realized that, because of our eleven year age gap, that my twin brothers were going to be listening to a completely different type of music. So I decided to teach them all about music of the 70's. They got to listen to The Beatles, Chicago, Cat Stevens, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, The Who, etc.. I also taught them the names of the band members, so they always would know who was in what band. To this day, if you ask either of them who was in The Who, they would recite; Pete Townshend, John Entwistle, Roger Daltry and Keith Moon. I thought it was important that they have some history of music, but the best thing that came out of it is that they still listen and like that music!

Now I must teach Veronica about music history, US history as well as family history. Otherwise it will be all gone.

No comments: