Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The Big Day Is Finally Here

I feel like a kid on Christmas eve. I know something big is going to happen, but I'm not entirely sure I'll get what I want. It makes me think about how badly I wanted the album Chicago at Carnegie Hall back in my teens. It was either 1971 or 1972 and I really thought that life wouldn't be worth anything if I didn't get that album for Christmas.

So, I have waited a very long 8 years for this election day. I still remember how I sobbed through Al Gore's concession speech almost 8 years ago; my spirit crushed and the incredible anger I felt at the Supreme Court's wrong decision. I was pretty angry at Gore too, his concession speech that Wednesday night was the best speech he had ever given. I wondered why we hadn't seen that side of him throughout the election.
So many people have told me over these past 8 years that I shouldn't take Bush's policies so personal - but they have always felt personal to me; the invasion of a sovereign country, and the unnecessary loss of so many lives; the loss of personal freedoms, the constant threat of reversing Roe v. Wade and all of the other injustices that have taken place. It's been hard, the depression and despair that I have felt has, I'm certain, had much to do with my deteriorating health and the illnesses that I now deal with on a daily basis.

Then, four years ago when Kerry was up in the polls and then lost. I couldn't believe the stupidity of half of the U.S. population - weren't they paying attention to the first 4 years? I almost didn't make it - thinking of what another 4 years would do to me and my country.

As bad as I thought Bush would be, he has proven to be far, far worse. And while I don't like to say "I told you so" I'll say it anyway - "I told you so!" I have been proven absolutely correct by this shoddy, corrupt administration. I learned over these difficult 8 years that if a friend or relative felt that Bush was doing a good job, they became former friends. That proved to me that we didn't have any values in common and that I didn't want to surround myself with those who followed that inept idiot. It's really hard to describe just how deeply I hate Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Gonzalez, Holmes, Rove, Card, etc. etc... And how angry I am at what they have done to the world that my nieces and nephews live in and how changed it now is for them as they go through their teenage years and become adults.

So, I'm really, really hoping and wanting an Obama win - a big one, actually - to show those stinking republicans that it's not just me who is tired of them, it's almost everyone. And while I know that Obama has a really tough road ahead, I suspect that many of the citizens of this (to be great again) country will hang tough with him, knowing we're all going to have to pitch in to fix the mistakes of the last 8 years. It's not going to be easy and it's not going to be quick - but at long last we will be heading in the right direction.

And as for Chicago at Carnegie Hall - I did get it for Christmas and I listened to that album until I couldn't listen any longer! And I enjoyed every minute of it - just as an Obama administration should help to heal me and my attitude.

On the other hand, if McSame wins, I'm out of here.

No comments: